• 9-11 High Street
    In the middle of the picture you
    can see the London and Midland
    Bank now HSBC

    This block of buildings has been
    owned, and many times improved,
    by the Trust since the mid
    nineteenth century.
  • Bridge Buildings
    Taken in the 1960's from the
    Square, this picture is from a
    time of much less traffic

    The ice cream parlour is now
    Lillico's wine bar.

    Purchased by the Trust in the
    mid 19th century.
  • Bridge Chambers
    Built by the Bridge Trust in 1872-3
    and designed by R.D. Gould,
    Bridge Chambers is the home of
    the Bridge Trust.

    Containing the now empty Bridge
    Hall which was, for many years, Barnstaple Magistrates
    Court.
  • The Long Bridge
    Taken in 1960 (before the
    widening of 1961) this view of
    the Bridge shows the cantilevered
    pedestrian walkways installed
    in 1832.

    Previous to the 60's widening,
    traffic trying to pass on the bridge,
    frequently mounted these
    walkways endandgering pedestrians
    and the structure itself.
  • Aerial View of the Long Bridge
    Taken in the 1940's this view of the
    bridge shows the old railway
    viaduct serving Town Station
    and the line to Ilfracombe
    (and, until 1936, the line to Lynton).
  • Old Print of the Bridge
    Dated 1840, an old drawing of the bridge.
  • 109-113 Boutport Street
    Now housing National Health
    Service offices, the Boutport
    Street Medical Centre and
    residendial accommodation, these
    properties were built by the
    Trust in the mid nineteenth century.

    The picture was taken in the 1960's.
  • Bridge Chambers Site
    An early picture taken before
    the construction of Bridge Chambers.

    In the background can be seen,
    what is today, Wetherspoons
    Watergate pub.
  • Jacobean Barnstaple?
    An oil painting (held in the North
    Devon Atheneum) thought to be C17th.
  • Bridge from Upstream
    A view of the bridge from the vicinity
    of Rock Park from 1960.

    It is possible the boat is that
    used by the Trust for Bridge
    maintenance and repairs.
  • Some recent and some 'not so recent' pictures of Bratton

    Welcome to the Bridge Trust Website

    The Bridge Trust, and its predecessor organisations, has been a part of Barnstaple's history for over 700 years.  For much of that time the Trust has been responsible for the long bridge over the river Taw.  Repairing, restoring, maintaining and improving one of the most important bridges in the area, a vital

    part of Barnstaple's infratstructure since the middle ages.

     

    Although no longer responsible for bridge, the Bridge Trust continues to play a large part in Barnstaple life, though you may never have heard of us.

     

    The Trust is one of the largest property owners in the town and, although much of the income generated by our Grade II listed historic buildings is applied to upkeep and repair, nevertheless each year the Trust gives away tens of thousands of pounds to local groups, organisations and individuals.

     

    The slide show above will tell you a little about the properties we own and more information can be obtained from the links above.

    Some more pictures from our archives

    On the left is the grim figure of John Baker, first Chamberlain of the Bridge Trust; appointed in 1821 he served for 39 years.  Next to him is John Byron Cruse, the sixth Chamberlain, appointed in 1945, in the 1980's he wrote "The Long Bridge of Barnstaple & The Long Bridge Trust" from which the history of the trust on this website is taken.  Although the buildings in the last picture will are long gone there will be something vaguely familiar about them to Barum folk even today.  The picture shows the Theatre Royal and North Devon Dispensary in Boutport Street, both were built by the Trust in the early 1800's and the Theatre Royal was owned by them until 1930 when it was demolished and replaced by the Cinema, which is still there though no longer owned by the Trust.

    ©Copyright 2013 - Peter Laurie

  • Some views of 'our' bridge and familiar Barnstaple landmarks, owned by the Bridge Trust

    Welcome to the Bridge Trust Website

    The Bridge Trust, and its predecessor organisations, has been a part of Barnstaple's history for over 700 years.  For much of that time the Trust has been responsible for the long bridge over the river Taw.  Repairing, restoring, maintaining and improving one of the most important bridges in the area, a vital

    part of Barnstaple's infrastructure since the middle ages.

     

    Although no longer responsible for the long bridge on the Taw, the Bridge Trust continues to play a large part in Barnstaple life, though you may never have heard of us.

     

    The Trust is one of the largest property owners in the town and, although much of the income generated by our Grade II listed historic buildings is applied to their upkeep and repair, nevertheless each year the Trust gives away tens of thousands of pounds to local groups, organisations and individuals.

     

    The slide show above will tell you a little about the properties we own and more information can be obtained from the link to our history page, also above.

     

    Some more pictures from our archives

    On the left is the grim figure of John Baker, first Chamberlain of the Bridge Trust; appointed in 1821 he served for 39 years.  Next to him is John Byron Cruse, the sixth Chamberlain, appointed in 1945, in the 1980's he wrote "The Long Bridge of Barnstaple & The Long Bridge Trust" from which the history of the trust on this website is taken.  Although the buildings in the last picture are long gone there will be something vaguely familiar about them to Barumites even today.  The picture shows the Theatre Royal and North Devon Dispensary in Boutport Street, both were built by the Trust in the early 1800's and the Theatre Royal was owned by them until 1930 when it was demolished and replaced by the cinema, which is still there though no longer owned by the Trust.